If you are just beginning to get to know the Tarot, you may want to avoid the 10-card Celtic Cross spread and start off with simple yet effective one card readings.
Yes, pulling just one card from your deck can already tell you a hell of a lot about what is going on around you.
It can even tell you a bit about your personality, habits, strengths and weaknesses.
Here are five ways to read one Tarot card and get instant, meaningful messages:
1. Calculate your year card. It offers you some insight on the energies and overall theme that will be influencing you during the course of the year. Do the same for family and friends to get to know the cards and discover what might be in store for them over the year.
2. Calculate your personality card. This card will give you some ideas on your life lessons and purpose in this life; another great one-card reading to try on your family and friends.
3. Discover your persona card. Find out which court card is linked to your sun sign and explore your court card personality. This is a good way to acquaint yourself with the often tricky court cards, so make sure you also practice the persona card reading with plenty of people you know.
4. Do a daily one-card draw. You can either pull a card in the morning to see what may come up for you during the day, or you can pull one in the evening for the following day. Record them on a chart like this, and after a week analyse the cards drawn for more insight: Which suit has come up most? How many Major Arcana cards? How many court cards and which ones? How accurate have your interpretations been?
5. Do a weekly one-card draw. If you are too busy for a card-a-day, you can draw just one card for the week ahead to offer you some insight on the energies you can expect over the forthcoming days. Use this journaling sheet to record your interpretation and predictions you come up with.
For your daily and weekly draw you can also use my ebook The Cosmic Faery Tarot Guidebook to help you with your readings until you are more confident with your interpretations.
The more you practice, the more messages and insight you will receive from just one card.
Take your time when you look at the image, and let its symbolism speak to you: what kind of landscape do you see? What colours? Any people? Are they happy, sad, angry, alone?
Learn to notice the little details, and over time you will find it easier to interpret the cards without the help of a book.
For a beginner, larger spreads can be confusing, and a one-card draw is the ideal starting point for simple yet insightful readings.