The most straightforward way to turn your Tarot hobby into a paid occupation is by becoming a phone reader for one of those numerous online psychic phone companies.
The advantage is that you don’t have to build your own website to promote your services, and these companies invest a lot into marketing, so your chances of earning a regular income are good.
Assuming you have passed the ‘psychic phone test’ (reputable companies have a vetting system to ensure they hire quality people), here are some tips on how to survive and thrive as a phone psychic, once you are listed on their site and available to take calls:
1. Most companies offer free minutes to their callers, usually between 2 – 5 minutes at the beginning of the call. Be prepared that many hang up within that time period.
Don’t take this personally. It’s not you. People just try to get some free advice. You will need to grow a thick skin.
The trick is to open up the conversation in such a way that makes them listen a bit longer. More on that later…
2. The best time to work on the phone is evening and weekends. If you only log on while your kids are at school, then you are unlikely to make a reasonable living. It also really helps, if you are a night owl and enjoy evening work.
3. Be prepared to answer any question, including if boy is cheating on girl etc., but ensure you abide by the company’s rules (most don’t want you to answer questions on pregnancy, health, financial and legal matters).
Avoid replying with “I don’t answer this kind of question”, if you merely don’t like the question. But you can learn to answer any question in a way you feel comfortable with and without making your caller feel bad about themselves.
4. Don’t expect your callers to ask for empowering readings. Most of them really just want straight fortune-telling answers. Think about how you can give them what they want without losing your integrity.
5. Be prepared for rude callers, especially when you don’t give them the answers they want to hear.
Again, don’t take this personally. Keep growing that thick skin.
6. It is best to ask your caller for a specific question, so you can give targeted and useful answers. General readings, such as “what’s in store for me over the next six months”, are impossible to complete within 2 – 5 minutes.
Also, if someone is asking for a general reading, they tend to phone for fun and are likely to hang up within the free minutes period.
7. When you get questions about timing, such as “when will I find true love?”, offer a time scale depending on the cards you’ve drawn rather than being too specific.
Be prepared for your caller to reply to your answer with “but another psychic told me it would be next week!”
Think in advance how you would handle this call. Some callers do phone many different psychics for the same question over and over again, but you don’t know that, when they call you.
8. I mentioned before you need to develop the skill to keep callers on the phone a little longer than their free minutes allowance to make money, but don’t be tempted to waste their time by shuffling your deck for a minute after they’ve asked you a question.
Instead, have your deck already shuffled and a card laid in front of you, so you can think in advance what answers this card may offer to your caller (this can help you avoid reader’s block).
Give as much helpful and useful information as possible. Engage your caller with a question or encourage feedback.
When you have a lot to say, your caller is more likely to listen, if they can resonate. This is where your knowledge of the Tarot comes in handy
9. Ensure you talk clearly at a steady pace. You may want to tame your regional accent to ensure callers from different parts of the country / world can follow you.
10. It is normal to be nervous when you first start working on a psychic phone line. You’ll make some mistakes, experience reader’s block and perhaps get disheartened by unfriendly callers.
The trick is to persevere and learn from what goes wrong. Keep pushing yourself, and it will get easier in time.
Also consider some professional phone coaching. One session can help you accelerate your skills and become more confident by working on specific issues you are trying to resolve.
I worked on psychic phone lines in the past and experienced the good, the bad, the ugly, the bizarre and the ridiculous.
I made mistakes, but I also learned to be diplomatic, tactful and assertive (despite abuse) and about taking a gamble with certain answers.
Nowadays I no longer do phone readings, because evening and weekend work just doesn’t suit me, and I spend more time mentoring and doing email readings.
If you would like to practice and enhance your phone reading skills, book a session with me. I’ll be your best and worst caller on the phone to challenge and help you, offering you more specific advice, tips and tricks along the way to become a successful phone reader.
Learn how to handle those difficult calls, take advantage of my experience and learn from my mistakes, so you don’t have to make the same.
Transform your life this year:
Make sure you subscribe to my feed to receive the latest news and Tarot articles straight into your inbox when published.
You can also connect with me on